Thyssen@IAS CEU Fellowships
Fritz Thyssen Fellowships at the Institute for Advanced Study CEU
Call for Applications for 2017-18
Deadline for Application: October 24, 2016
The Fritz Thyssen Foundation and the Institute for Advanced Study at Central European University in Budapest (IAS CEU) are pleased to invite applications for Thyssen at IAS CEU junior and senior research fellowships for the academic year 2017/2018. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities. Fellowships run for the whole academic year (10 months, September 1- June 30) or for the Fall or Winter semesters (6 months, Sept 1 to Feb 28 or Jan 1 to June 30). Junior fellowships are renewable for another year in exceptional cases and only after an external review process.
Fellows are chosen by a rigorous selection process, which includes stages of pre-selection and peer reviews as well as a final decision jointly made by an independent, interdisciplinary and international Academic Advisory Board and the Fritz Thyssen Foundation. The Institute is committed to the pursuit of cutting edge interdisciplinary scholarship and will seek innovative research proposals. Young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered; established senior scholars are expected to have solid records of first rate scholarship. A primary criterion for selection is the expectation that each fellow’s stay at the Institute will yield original and significant research results.
IAS CEU provides a stimulating environment in which the fellows can devote themselves to their research and share their work with peers through weekly seminars and other community programs. Fellows have access to all CEU facilities, including seminar and conference space, computer services, and library resources. They also benefit from CEU’s vibrant international atmosphere, its strong ties in the CEE region and its location in culturally rich Budapest. IAS CEU facilitates the fellows’ engagement with CEU and the Hungarian scholarly community by encouraging collaborative projects, organizing joint public lectures, establishing student mentorship programs, and related activities.
Scholars at IAS CEU receive accommodation in the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse and a monthly stipend. Fellows must reside in Budapest during their fellowship year, participate in the intellectual life of the Institute and pursue their research agenda.
Qualifications, experience, eligibility
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets are encouraged to apply.
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply for this type of fellowship. We have no thematic restrictions (other than expecting proposals in the social sciences and humanities only).
- Junior fellows must have a Ph.D. degree issued in 2009 or later. Candidates who obtained their Ph.D. before 2009 are considered “senior” and must apply for a senior fellowship.
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 7 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must be received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2010 or earlier).
- Part time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 3 years after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2013 or earlier).
- Former fellows of IAS CEU or former Collegium Budapest are not eligible to apply until a period of 7 years has passed since their previous fellowship. Applications may be considered only in exceptional cases.
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
Terms and conditions
Senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 2,500 Euros and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 1,500 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse (http://ias.ceu.edu/raoul-wallenberg-guesthouse-0). Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the fellows. Thyssen@IAS CEU fellows receive a travel allowance from their country of residence to Budapest and back but are responsible for their own health care provisions.
How to apply
The deadline for application is October 24, 2016.
All applications must be received through our online application system.
Step 1: Register at this website: https://studentinfo.ceu.hu/acad/ias/register.do
Step 2: After registration, you will receive a password which you must use to fill out the application form and upload the required documents in pdf format here: https://studentinfo.ceu.hu/acad/ias/login.do
You may save your work, and log back in and submit it at a later time. All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (CET) on October 24, 2016.
You will have to submit the following the material:
- A completed online application form
- A cover letter
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
- The description of your research project (min. 1,000 – max. 2,500 words)
- A 10-15 page description of your research project, which includes a discussion on the state of your research (including references to publications if these exist already), research outline, theories and methods (including short bibliography), time schedule and work plan
- A CV including a list of up to 5 (in case of junior applicants) and up to 15 (in the case of senior applicants) of your most important publications. . For junior applicants ONLY: Please include the name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).
Applicants will be notified of the result of the evaluation process by early March 2017 the latest. We will not share reviews with the applicants.
For further information regarding your application and for more info on IAS CEU, please visit: http://ias.ceu.edu/. Questions and comments may be sent to Thyssen_fellowships@ceu.edu. You are also advised to visit the Frequently Asked Questions section at https://ias.ceu.edu/frequently-asked-questions.
CEU is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.