Affiliated Fellowships 2018/2019
Call for Applications
Deadline for Application: December 1, 2017
The Institute for Advanced Study at CEU (IAS CEU) is pleased to invite applications for Affiliated Fellowships for the academic year 2018/19. Scholars from all research areas of the social sciences and humanities, broadly defined, may apply for this status. Affiliated fellows typically use their own funding or external fellowships to spend their research period, or parts thereof, at IAS CEU. The minimum stay is 3 months.
IAS CEU is a university-based institute for advanced study. It provides a stimulating environment in which fellows can devote themselves to research and share their work with peers through weekly seminars and other community programs. Fellows have access to all CEU facilities, including seminar and conference space, computer services, and library resources. They benefit from CEU’s vibrant international atmosphere, its strong ties in the region of Central and Eastern Europe and its location right in the center of Budapest. IAS CEU facilitates the fellows’ engagement with CEU and the Hungarian, regional and international scholarly community by encouraging collaborative projects, organizing joint public lectures and related activities.
Affiliated Fellows are expected to reside in Budapest during their affiliation with the Institute and participate in the intellectual life of the Institute and pursue their research agenda.
Eligibility, qualifications, experience:
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets will be considered.
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
Terms and conditions:
Affiliated fellows do not receive a stipend and may or may not receive housing from the Institute. They may receive office space based on availability. Fellows are responsible for their own travel and health care provisions.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is December 1, 2017.
You will be required to submit the following material:
- A cover letter (explaining why you would like to stay at the Institute and how you would contribute to the intellectual life at IAS CEU)
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
- A description of your research project (min. 1,000 - max. 2,500 words; the reference list is not included in the word count)
- A CV including a list of up to 5 (in case of junior applicants) and up to 15 (in the case of senior applicants) of your most important publications. For junior applicants ONLY: name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).
To apply for the status of Affiliated Fellow please submit the above via e-mail in one PDF document with the subject line "AF Application 18-19" to IAS_applications@ceu.edu.
Applicants will be notified when their applications have been received.
CEU is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.